Traveling to Lapland
We gather at the school and you are accompanied to the station, where we make sure you get on the right train. The night train takes you to Murjek.
Arrival and beginning of the hike Arrival in Murjek, then on to Kvikkjokk by bus. In Kvikkjokk we will distribute and check the equipment and gear. Following a boat trip we will start hiking just after lunch towards Prinskullen and Vallevare. The first few hours of the hike we will be going upwards and the path is somewhat steep. We will take it easy and take many breaks. Once on top of Vallevare, we will set up a base camp. From this camp we will have a magnificent view towards Sareks high “fjäll” with mountains over 2000 meters.
A hike over the mountain ridge towards Vallespiken
After breakfast we’ll pack our backpacks with just a few things for the day. We will continue with the climb into the mountains towaqrds Vallespiken. If the clouds are hanging low we will stay below the clouds. If the weather is clear we will experience the untouched forest and “fjäll” of the North. The fresh water in the streams is very pure and we can drink this directly from the streams. This day usually we will see the large snow fields from last winter. After arrival in our base camp we will cook dinner and have a nice evening.
Towards the forest
We will pack everything and hike over the fields, and down through the thick forest back to the Kvikkjokk delta. This trail is known for its large variety in flora. At the end of the afternoon a small boat that brings us to Kvikjokk will pick us up. Here the bus leaves for Jokkmokk, where we’ll spend the night at a camping. Here you are able to take a shower and/or a sauna bath. Dinner will be out at the camp fire.
A day in Jokkmokk
Jokkmokk is a small town just north of the polar circle. This is the second largest municipality in Sweden with its 19 477 square kilometers. There is only one person per 3 square kilometers. Jokkmokk is also the central place for the Sami culture with many Sami artists and writers. You spend the day here, maybe visiting the museum about the Sami. Bus to Murjek, from there night train to Uppsala.
Arrival in Uppsala in the morning
You arrive in the morning and go straight back into class!
Group size between 8–12 persons.
Included: all meals from lunch day 2 to breakfast day 5, guide, use of tents and additional camping gear, boat trips, trains and busses.
This equipment will be taken along by the trip leader and will be distributed in Kvikkjokk among the participants:
- All meals
- Tents (2p – 3 p)
- Cooking utensils and gear (fuel, stoves, cleaning pad, pans)
- Maps and compass
- Repair kit
- First aid kit
Not included: Sleeping bag and pad, hiking clothing (shoes, rain gear) strong, real hiking backpack. You can bring your own sleeping bag and pad, or rent a sleeping bag and pad for 300 SEK each.
Please note: Your sleeping bag needs to be warm enough for temperatures around freezing point.
- Travel documents (passport, tickets etc.)
- Backpack (with a volume of 50-60 liters)
- Rain cover for your backpack
- Sleeping bag (Even in summer it can be quite cold in Lapland therefore at least a 3-seasons sleeping bag is advised)
- Sleeping pad (should be a good insulator, hence aluminum foil pads are NOT advised)
- Soap (bio-degradable)
- Tooth brush
- Tooth paste
- Insect repellent
- In case of blisters: compeed or something similar
- Toilet paper
- Small amount of Vaseline
- Lighter and/or matches
- Plastic bags (e.g. zip lock ) to store gear water proof
- Eating utensils, bowl and insulated mug
- Pocket knife
The surplus of equipment and gear can be safely put in storage in Kvikkjokk.
Those of you leaving Uppsala after the trip, can store their surplus luggage at Vuxenskolan.
- Hiking pants
- Thermal underwear or jogging trousers
- Reg. underwear
- 2 pair of socks
- 2 shirts
- Warm sweater or fleece
- Hat or cap
- Rain gear (coat and pants) / Poncho is also very comfortable
- Boots (make sure they are comfortable, waterproof and suitable for hiking in mountainous terrain)
- Sandals (to cross small streams)
- Mosquito net
- Photo camera and equipment
- Flower and/or bird book (optional)
- Water can or bottle (there will be plenty of water available and it is all suitable for drinking)
- Map: Fjällkarta BD 10 (optional)
In order to reserve a place on this trip please mark it down on the application form and pay the full amount, of which 2 000 SEK is a non-refundable deposit, since we must make the reservations in advance. The number of participants is limited, and reservations are taken on a first-come-first serve basis.
Finland Trip 〉